WE’RE HIRING A COMMS DIRECTOR!
Naeva and NM Native Vote (NMNV) are Indigenous-led non-profit organizations based in Albuquerque and Farmington, New Mexico. We are seeking an experienced and skillful communications professional to carry out our communications need for our organizations.
The Communications Director is responsible for overseeing the communications for all of Naeva and NM Native Vote’s education and awareness campaigns for New Mexico tribes as well as statewide and national audiences. Campaigns include social media messaging, audio and video production, graphics, media relations, and community outreach, among others. Communications Director responsibilities may include overseeing our websites, drafting op-eds and scripts for audio and video, and collaborating with staff to generate creative solutions for all campaigns.
The Communications Director also monitors and optimizes all social media platforms, builds, maintains media relationships, and leads all advertising initiatives. Successful Communications Directors understand the innate workings of both organizations’ missions, goals, and objectives and incorporate that knowledge for effective, impactful, and measurable communications outcomes.
In the last few years, Naeva and NM Native Vote helped to enact the first Native American Voting Rights Act in the country, capped payday loans to rein in predatory lenders, played a key role in transforming Indigenous education in New Mexico, and worked to get progressive candidates elected up and down the ballot. Our collective organization’s growth has increased the need to expand the organization’s communications team and strategy.
The work that lies ahead requires a Communications Director who can devise short and long-term strategies for brand growth while keeping on top of the day-to-day activities. Skillful ways to pivot priorities quickly if circumstances change is a plus. Successful Communications Directors must be equipped with a bold, ambitious approach to the workload and an inclusive, welcoming style to collaboratively engage with staff and ensure all ideas are heard.
IN YOUR ROLE as our Comms Director, you will:
- Generate ideas for visual branding of GOTV campaigns
- Coordinate social media coverage, keeping posts-per-week consistent
- Draft internal example copy for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok
- Develop and edit copy for print media, letters to the editor/op-eds, monthly newsletters, annual reports, social media, and websites
- Interface with local, state, and national press organizations and provide rapid response to inquiries
- Meet with leaders of allied organizations to coordinate and collaborate on media strategy
- Cultivate contacts with media, influencers, and community leaders
- Provide clear guidance and feedback on content and provide a safe space for creativity and expression for the Communications Team and other staff working on campaigns
- Monitor media, social media, and other community, local, regional, and national news for information that may be useful to the organization’s core mission
- Conduct research useful for campaign strategy, planning, and implementation
- Develop campaign strategies with measurable outcomes
- Develop an evaluation for communications campaigns
WE WANT OUR Comms Director to have:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in Business, Communications, Marketing, Film and TV, Journalism, or 4+ years of equivalent professional experience
- Knowledge of broadcast, radio, print, and social media
- Demonstrable experience in managing advertising campaigns
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, Hootsuite, Basecamp, WordPress, Adobe Creative Cloud, Canva, Figma, Zoom, Constant
Contact, and Google Workspace
- Experience as an end user with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, and YouTube
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Passion for social justice and fearless allyship to those facing systems of oppression based on their race, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, class, ability, or immigration status
- Experience with budget planning and maintenance
- Comfort with a flexible schedule which may include the occasional weekend and late night, especially during the state Legislative Session
- Ability to travel around the Albuquerque area and manage a hybrid schedule
Naeva and NM Native Vote employees are required to work in-office, with some remote work based upon relevant circumstances. Occasional travel throughout New Mexico and the U.S. may also be required for the state Legislative Session in Santa Fe or for conferences or events out of state.
Position is full-time, salaried, and non-exempt with benefits including medical/dental/vision. Communications Director is expected to work 40 hours per week and reports to the Executive Director.
Send resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with the subject “Communications Director Application.” Cover letter should include why this is important work and what experience and skills you bring.
Naeva and NM Native Vote are equal opportunity employers that do not discriminate in their hiring practices and aim to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeking applicants of varying life experiences, cultures, identities, geographies, and racial/ethnic backgrounds. Indigenous, two-spirit, BIPOC, LGBTQ+, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
WANT THE PDF? CLICK HERE.